The barbell bench press is a classical exercise that primarily targets the lower and middle portion of the pectoral muscles. Furthermore, the triceps and shoulder muscles work in synergy with the chest, to stabilize the movement and grant more power.
The bench press is the ultimate mass building chest exercise, and I recommend that you do at least 5 sets in a chest workout in the 6-10 rep range for the best mix of hypertrophy and strength on this exercise.
- 1Load a barbell and lie down on the bench press
- 2Place a towel on your chest for a depth reference
- 3Grab the barbell slightly wider than shoulder-width
- 4Un-rack the bar and keep elbows slightly bent to maintain chest tension
- 5Let the bar go down to the towel slowly
- 6Push the bar up explosively, without locking out the elbows
- 7Contract the chest up top