Think glute cable kickbacks are for the girls? Think again.
This is another of the leg exercises that guys can certainly do and they’re great for helping build out your glutes.
The last thing you want is massive quads and hamstrings with a flat butt as that will create a look that’s not aesthetically pleasing to anyone.
- 1Strap an ankle band to your ankle
- 2Stand up against a cable machine
- 3Take a step back and lean forward slightly
- 4Lift your leg off the ground and kick the leg back
- 5At the end part of the motion, contract the glutes, then go back down
- 6Once the desired number of reps is completed, do the same on the opposite side
You’ll want slower and controlled motion here, ensuring that you feel the tension on the cable at all times.
I recommend 10-50 reps per set on this one, going higher the more advanced you are.
Mix it up and some days using lighter weights and higher reps and others, lower reps and heavier weight.
If you want to build intensity to this movement, try a superset with glute band walks, where you perform wide steps from side to side with a band around the upper shins.
For this move, keep your weight back on your heels and take as wide of steps as possible to have those glutes really firing.
Aim for a total time under tension of 30-45 seconds here rather than counting racks.