The dumbbell hammer curl is one of the incredibly popular arm exercises that’s great for hitting the inner bicep head as well as the brachialis.
The key point to remember when doing this exercise is to ensure that you lock the elbows into the sides while you perform the exercise, which will help prevent you from swinging the weight upwards, using momentum to guide the force.
- 1Grab a pair of dumbbells
- 2Keep the dumbbells by your sides with the palms facing the torso
- 3Hammer the left dumbbell up without rotating the wrist
- 4Contract the upper arm up top
- 5Go back down slowly
- 6Repeat on the opposite side
- 7Alternate between sides
It’s also wise to think of squeezing the pinky around the bar while performing each rep, which will help you hit maximum muscle activation as well.
Dumbbell hammer curls can be done with both hands at the same time, or each hand individually in an alternating fashion if preferred.