The abs were not just made to look good - they are an integral part of the core and give us stability during movements where the arms support the weight of the body.
This is exactly why, for this exercise, we are utilizing that exact arm support to not only target the abdominal area, but also strengthen the shoulder & arm musculature.
- 1Load a barbell with a light weight
- 2Sit down and grab the barbell at shoulder width
- 3Lift it up to chin level
- 4Lie back down on the mat
- 5Lift the bar over your torso and keep it in that static position
- 6Straighten the legs and lift them off of the ground
- 7Keep the ankles at plantarflexion (Fingers away from the shin, like you would when flexing your calves)
- 8Lift the legs up and slightly towards the left shoulder, contracting the abs & obliques
- 9Let the legs come down slowly, then repeat the same movement on the opposite side
Note: Avoid resting your legs at the bottom - Keep constant tension and count to two seconds on the way down.