Dropsets can be utilized as a blood-pumping method but they will also express a greater time under tension.
Ultimately, you can stay focused on heavy compounds if your main goal is muscle growth, but you can include this exercise towards the end of a workout.
- 1Grab a relatively heavy plate
- 2Sit down on a bench with no back support
- 3Place your feet wide
- 4Keep torso straight
- 5Holding the plate with both hands symmetrically on both sides, keep it between your legs
- 6Avoid hunching down – Keep torso straight and scapula engaged
- 7Lift the plate up with a moderate pace
- 8Contract the shoulders up top
- 9Hold peak contraction for a split second
- 10Go down slowly on the eccentric
- 11Once done, reduce weight with 30% and complete another set with no rest
Note that there is no rest whatsoever between the first set and the next one, following reduction in weight.
Again, the goal here is not to go extremely heavy but to rather maintain a good range of motion and constant tension.