As a replacement to the squat or simply to complement that major compound exercise, the leg press is a fantastic move to bring into your arsenal.
This one of the top 10 leg exercises will hit your quads, hamstrings, and glutes and will allow for excellent power generation.
- 1Sit down on the leg press and lie back
- 2Rest your head and back
- 3Press the butt into the seat pad and the back into the back pad
- 4Grab the handles and place the feet on the platform at shoulder width
- 5Un-rack the platform and take the initial position, where your legs are slightly bent at the knees
- 6Let the platform go down slowly, maintaining tension on the legs
- 7Once the legs are at a 90-degree angle, push the platform to the initial position
When doing the leg press, be sure to keep the back pressed flat into the back pad at all times (never let the low back round as you drive the weight up) and go as low down as you can go.
Drop sets are especially effective on this exercise, so try stripping one plate off the machine after each set.
Do a few of 10-15 on these with little rest in between and you'll really feel it burning.