Don’t let yourself get confused between this one and the bench press.
There are a few unique points that will make all the difference in the world, but this is one of the best tricep exercises for building mass in your upper arm.
- 1Set up a bench in the middle of the smith machine
- 2Lie down on the bench and grab the bar closer than shoulder-width
- 3Un-rack the bar and keep it above the lower chest
- 4Let the bar go down slowly but not all the way down
- 5When it is a couple of inches above the chest, push back up
- 6Lockout the elbow slowly and contract the triceps
By only going down this low you keep a constant level of tension on the triceps at all times, giving them a much better workout.
Do this exercise in the smith machine so that you can go hard and heavy without worry.
You won’t need a spotter to catch the weight since you can just rotate the bar and put it in the rack. It’s a great mass builder for the medial and lateral head. Push yourself and keep trying to add more weight to the bar.