The reverse barbell shrug performed on a smith machine is a great trap exercise to add into your routine when you have access to a smith machine. While the traditional barbell shrug and dumbbell shrug are great exercises for a thicker upper back and bigger traps, the reverse smith machine barbell shrug offers some advantages and gives you great control to get a fantastic squeeze and pump in your traps.
I really like going going higher rep on this and getting a massive pump. I recommend you stick in the rep range of 10-15 reps and focus on form over ego lifting on this move.
If you want to build your traps and every other muscle as fast as scientifically possible, make sure you are using the Balloon Method. The Balloon Method is the style of workout used in the SuperHuman Muscle program, responsible for thousands of fast muscle building transformations including hard gainers.
No matter what your fitness level, the Balloon Method is the first workout that maximizes the 3 science backed ways your body builds muscle in less than 40 minutes a workout and it makes your workouts more intense and a lot more fun.
Click Here to learn more about the SuperHuman Muscle program and see the jaw dropping muscle building transformations!
execution of reverse barbell shrug on a smith machine
- 1Start off with the bar resting against your glutes and your hands about shoulder width apart.
- 2Feet should be about shoulder width apart
- 3Shrug the bar up as high as you can, and hold and squeeze at the top of the move
- 4Let the bar go down slow and controlled on the eccentric portion.
- 5Channel a great mind-muscle connection and perform sets in the 10-15 rep range