If you want activation in your lower chest, this exercise is top rated.
Skip it at your own risk. Chances are you’ve done these before so you don’t need me to tell you much about them.
All I can say is get them in. I like starting all my chest workouts with weighted dips as a primer for what’s to come and to ensure that I’m never skipping over them because I’m just too tired to get it done.
- 1Wrap a weighted belt around your waist
- 2Get up on the parallel bar
- 3Bend elbows slightly to drive the tension through the chest, shoulders and triceps
- 4Dip down slowly, stretching the chest
- 5Push back up explosively, contracting the chest
Note that you should avoid locking out the elbows at the top.
I recommend doing 3 sets total of 8-12 reps for weighted dips.
You’ll want to go heavy enough on this exercise that you do feel the muscles working hard, but not so heavy that you begin to let the triceps start taking over.
This is a common mistake that is made far too often by many guys.
While you always will get some tricep activation, remember this is a chest exercise not a tricep one.