If you are having difficulties with pull-ups but still want a well-developed back, wide grip pulldowns are as good as it gets. This movement will primarily target the upper and middle back and secondarily, the biceps, forearms and shoulders.
- 1Grab the pulldown bar with a wide grip and sit down comfortably
- 2Arch the back slightly and angle the torso so that it isn’t at a 90-degree angle
- 3Look up and pull the bar down to the upper chest
- 4Contract the back musculature and go back up slowly
- 5Repeat the motion and try to maintain tension on the back